During the period of rising of the Architecture and Construction in Ancient Egypt, the demand for building material for the Pyramids and Temples led to the development of a number of quarries, located along the Nile Valley. In this chapter we shall focus on one single fact - the 11-kilometer Road, connecting Egypt's largest basalt quarry Widan-el-Farras with the Nile River through the Moeris Lake.
The ruins of the Graeco-Roman city, which name in Greek language means "The Crocodile Island" are located in 8 kilometers to the south of Qasr-el-Saga. At the present time this place is known as Dimeh-el-Siba. It is believed that the city was built in Ptolemaic Period on the foundation of an ancient settlement.
There is a small building, located in the desert, to the north-east of the Fayum Oasis. It is built of sandstone blocks, arranged in a style of "polygonal masonry." The walls of the building are not decorated with any drawings or inscriptions. First archaeological works here took place in 1884 by Baltic-German researcher George Schweinfurt.