- SAQQARA -
The Headless Pyramid was discovered in 1842 by the German archaeologist Karl Lepsius, during his excavations at Saqqara. This Pyramid was called as the "Headless Pyramid" because of the the absence of its exterior.
After studying the available material, concerning this discovery, our group went to Saqqara. The greatest interest was paid to the grey sandstone lid of the sarcophagus, which was sharply contrasting against the background of the surrounding landscape.
The remains of the interior of the Pyramid.
The pictures below are showing the Descending Passage in details. The basement is formed by the limestone blocks. Granite elements and portcullis are badly damaged by erosion. Some granite units have remained in their original places. In some places the pink cement holds granit blocks with a limestone foundation. Some of the granite blocks were removed from their original places and standing aside the main Passage.
The lid of the sarcofagus.
The fragments of the sarcophagus.
The pictures below, are showing the locking angle of the lid - "positive angle", while the sarcophagus - has a sharp "negative angle". This combination provides a strong vertical fixation of the lid against the sarcofagus. Horizontal fixation of the lid was provided by the two vertical rods. The fragments of sarcophagus with two holes are not found yet, but we can assume, the lock worked as follows: the cover slid into the horizontal grooves of the sarcophagus while the rods were inside the vertical holes of the lid, and their length was the same as the height of the holes for them. The sarcophagus had a matching vertical holes, but their depth was half-height of the holes in the lid, which contained the locking rods. When the holes of the lid coincid with the holes in the sarcofagus, the rods fell down halfway, thus fixing the cover forever.
3D programming by Alexey Kruzer © avalon
© Copyright 2013 of ISIDA Project. All rights reserved.